Big Don's Blog

At last, a place for me to ruminate and offer my own stylistic, sincere, and silly ideas.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Choice of Infinities

Is there a God? That question alone can (and has) sparked arguments, discussions, and probably wars. Most religious wars were not from questioning God’s existence as much as whom to believe about how God wants us to act.

Up front, I am an agnostic. I was raised and confirmed in the Lutheran church by my aunt. My father was Catholic and my mother is Baptist. Neither of them, or my immediate family, are church-goers. Although I no longer agree with all of the teachings of the church, I do appreciate my aunt for exposing me to the Christian way of life.

But this post is about the roots of God. We are told that He is infinite in both time and space. For many, this flies in the face of modern science. As we learn more about our universe, we discover that there are mathematical concepts that can explain how God works.

This is my feeling: I think the idea that God is above, or on a separate plane that our universe, seems to make him unattainable. The more we learn about the mechanics and physics of the world we live in, the less likely that it is that “God made man in his own image.” Or is it?

If God did make man in his own image then is it not available and possible that man can move closer to God by understanding how God makes things work? Why would a divine being grant us free will only to be P.O.’d when we use that free will to understand the universe that he put us in?

What irritates me about most of the ‘commercial’ religions is that they have the temerity to say they know what God is thinking. That they understand the ‘real’ intent of the Bible, which is God’s word spoken to man. In my mind, the more we learn about the universe and how it works, the more powerful God gets.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, and the idea that there is One True Religion, and it is Ours, not Yours.

I don't have the answers, but I don't think they do, either.

Good post.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hee! Love it.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home