Big Don's Blog

At last, a place for me to ruminate and offer my own stylistic, sincere, and silly ideas.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Acronyms

Definition: " A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging."

This is not to be confused with an abbreviation (or initials), such as USMC.

I know this is a nit-picking thing to complain about, but I have take grief for lesser issues, so...

Acronym examples:

NASA ( not "en ayh ess ayh")
NOW, for National Organization of Women (not "en oh double-ewe")

Abbreviations examples:

IT (pronounced "eye tea", not "it")
DMV (pronounced "dee em vee", not "Deemov")

NASA was the real promoter of acronyms in the 60's. They had so many new words and names for things, like a Lunar Evactuation Module (a LEM), that they used acronyms constantly. It helps to give a thing an easy name. It is like a nick-name for a child.

Anyway, it iritates me when people get that wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jardena said...

LOL, where have I heard this rant before? Hmm, would have to be on every military base I've been on :) It can be funny when people people spell out the long ones, like SNAFU

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home