Big Don's Blog

At last, a place for me to ruminate and offer my own stylistic, sincere, and silly ideas.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Book Meme

I did this on my own volition becuase I do need to post on a regular basis. I was drawn to this meme, from Nancy, because it is about books:

Book Meme

1. One book that changed your life:
“Only a Trillion” by Issac Azmov. He is my hero and, when I write, I think of his style as my gold standard. His factual science books were my incentive to return to college and persue an engineering degree. I also enjoyed all of his fictional works. Remember, he is the man who gave humanity the “Three Laws of Robotics.”

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
“A Wizard of Earthsea” by Ursula K. Le Guin. It is a wonderrful use of ‘magic as a science’ and give credence to the universe it creates. It is a personal tale, and with the subsequent two books, it is a good story of personal achievement and selflessness.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
“The Lord of the Rings” (all three in one book, as it was originally intended). There is so much texture in the story that it could be re-read several times and one could realize something new each time. Of course at my age, I would have forgotten the most of the book by the time I finished it, so I could re-read it over many times.

4. One book that made you laugh:
“Eleven on Top” by Janet Evanovitch. I have enjoyed all the Stephanie Plum books, but this one in particular made me laugh out loud when yet another automobile was destroyed.

5. One book that made you cry:
I cannot think of a book that made me cry. The most upset I have ever been reading a book was “The Shining” by Stephen King. It scared me so badly that I had to stay up all night reading it because I was too frightened to go to sleep. The most recent emotional issue I had was the latest Harry Potter book when Doubledore was killed. Came real close with that one.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Lee Harvey Oswald’s autobiography.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Erich von Daniken and all his ‘quasi-theories’. He had a good presumption but distorted facts so badly, to prove his theory, that he broke the morality of science for the sake of selling a book.

8. The book you are currently reading:
An Anne Rule book that I borrowed from my late father’s library. It is a series of ‘true detective’ stories. I read her book “Green River Running Red” and nejoyed it. I thought this would be worth reading.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
I have been trying to finish “Moby Dick”, but the middle of the book is like drudging throught the heat of a summer afternoon in the dessert. I started it on an airplane trip and now it sits in my read pile, haunting and teasing me to finish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cellania said...

I love all of Anne Rule's book, I guess I'm weird that way. If I tell someone that, they assume I'm saying Anne Rice, which I don't care for.

If you want a book that will make you cry, read Charlotte's Web as if you didn't know what was going to happen.

1:35 PM  
Blogger amusing said...

An old classmate of mine has taken "Moby Dick" and made it the centerpiece of her art. She theorized that it was a book people wanted to read/should read. She also theorized that people read those crawls along the bottom of news channels almost against their will -- their eyes are drawn to them. So she made "Moby Dick" into an animation. Made the words active. She's also done a print and was sending a free copy to anyone who sent her their edition of the book. Don't know if she's still doing that or not. It would be a good way to get rid of yours so it doesn't nag you any longer.... Google "Leviathan" or something....

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home