Big Don's Blog

At last, a place for me to ruminate and offer my own stylistic, sincere, and silly ideas.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Meme

In case you didn't know:

Richard Dawkins coined the term meme, which first came into popular use with the publication of his book "The Selfish Gene" in 1976. Dawkins based the word on a shortening of the Greek "mimeme" (something imitated), making it sound similar to "gene". (Wikipedia)

It means a transfer of culture from one person to another. I think it is the same root from the word 'Mimeograph', which is a word that has not been used sense 1965. For you younger people, it is the same a 'Xerox (TM)'. For even younger people it is the same a scanning. In blog terms it means being asked to share a bit of information about yourself to others, thereby transfering your culture to your readers.

Anyway, I was reading another blog and they had a meme that they encouraged others to share, so here goes:

I know ~ a whole bunch of 'party' trivia. It make me sounds smarter than I really am.
I believe ~ given the right incentive, I can do anything.
I fought ~ with my whole family, at one time or another. Eventually we made up.
I am angered ~ by ignorance.
I love ~ making out.
I need ~ someone to love who also loves me back.
I take ~ just what I need, but try to give back more
I hear ~ most of what you say, but I am only human
I drink ~ with gusto, when I do drink.
I hate ~ that the GOP has lost its moral and fiscal compass.
I use ~ Aramis
I want ~ a winning lottery ticket (please, not less than $10 Million)
I decided ~ to keep up with blogging and enjoy myself.
I like ~ most people at face value.
I am ~ not afraid to give my opinion or respect your opinion.
I feel ~ like having an ice cream cone.
I left ~ Illinois for California. Why? That's a good question.
I do ~ (I've said that a couple times already, and I don't wish to got there again.)
I hope ~ the world doesn't fall apart before my children have time to enjoy life.
I dream ~ about women.
I drive ~ less than 10 miles to work.
I listen ~ to others as I hope they listen to me.
I think ~ that there is an answer to the world's problems if those in power would not take every disagreement so personal.
I wish ~ hapiness and success for my daughters.
I compensate ~ for my lack of knowledge by listening and learning.
I regret ~ many things, but I have learned to let go of my guilt.
I care ~ about other people
I should ~ save more money
I am ~ a good and happy person
I said ~ I would call, and I am sorry that I didn't.
I wonder ~ about many things. That is why I don't always stay on task.
I changed ~ myself and become more optimistic.
I cry ~ when watching some movies.
I am ~ over 6 feet tall and slightly overweight.
I lose ~ interest with these long memes.
I leave ~ food on my plate at a restaurant to make myself feel like I am dieting.

OK, you may feel free to comment or partake in this exercize, if you wish.

4 Comments:

Blogger amusing said...

Well, based on the "What cocktail are you" post you did and this one, I'd say we should drink martinis and make out, but then we'd get into a heated political argument (GOP, really?) and I'd storm off and you'd never call....

Fun that you did this -- learned so much about you!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Killer meme, isn't it? Blame Irrelephant.

Thanks for the meme def. at the beginning.

10:22 PM  
Blogger I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

I know… how to have a good time
I believe…in karmic justice but sometimes take matters into my own hands
I fought…myself until I realized I was right
I am angered… by insecurity
I love… adventure
I need…happy happy joy joy
I take…lighters… I don’t mean to, I just do!
I hear…everything. It’s my most developed sense and I’m not even blind.
I drink… daily
I hate… hatred, bigotry, racism, false logic
I use…my pool skills to win beer
I want… to be left alone
I decided… that my happiness is my job
I like… the underdog
I am… tolerant & honest
I feel…like making love
I left… some kittens on a doorstep once… I know, I belong in hell.
I do…not do drugs… alcohol and flowers excluded
I hope… I fulfill my potential
I dream… too much
I drive… the speed limit. I’m done donating money to the MAN
I listen… until you quit being interesting
I think… critically
I wish…I was born 20 years earlier… the music was better
I compensate… for my errors with sincere apologies
I regret… very little
I care… enough to treat people right
I should… go out less
I am… a flirt
I said… some things that I shouldn’t have… my bad
I wonder… when I’ll die
I changed… about 20,000 diapers
I cry… when I’m happy for other people
I am… not a good dancer… but I still get out there!
I lose… respect for whiney people
I leave… when I’m not having fun

3:27 PM  
Blogger Bored Housewife said...

I am slightly disturbed by the fact that I have been pronouncing "meme" incorrectly, but otherwise it was super-great-fun to learn more about you!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home