Big Don's Blog

At last, a place for me to ruminate and offer my own stylistic, sincere, and silly ideas.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Aristocrats

I rented a DVD this weekend that was recommended by a friend. It is called "The Aristocrats." First of all, this is a non-rated (should be MA) DVD that will surely offend everyone, unless you have a great sense of humor.

"The Aristocrats" is apparently an old vaudeville joke that is only told (for the most part) among comics. As a joke it is fairly feeble, but the idea is not the punchline, as it is in the telling of the joke. This movie is a pseudo-documentary about the joke and how comedians of the last couple of generations tell the joke, learned about the joke, and analyze the joke.

Now, here is where we diverge from the comedy of the joke into the comedy of the telling of the joke. As we learn about the joke, and what makes the joke funny, we are drawn into the 'back room' banter about comedians and their darker side.

It really would not be proper for me to reveal the joke here, so I will not. Let me just say that some people tell a very disgusting version of the joke, and you can start to understand what "over the top" really means. On the other hand, some people go "way over the top" and the same joke becomes hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes is when the mime does the joke. I was almost on the floor.

There are also several variations of the same joke that show both the creativity of the person telling the joke and ability of an old joke to stay 'fresh'.

There are about twenty five (I did not keep count) different comedians interviewed during this documentary, from all generations: Phyllis Diller to Paul Reiser to Whoopi Goldberg and Gilbert Godfreid. I mention Gilbert, because there is footage of him doing the joke on a Comedy Central Roast.

Two things popped into my head while I was watching this funny movie: The old joke about people using numbers instead of jokes with the punch line, "it's how you tell it;" and how many other movies have such a repeating theme that does not get old?

I give this film 4 1/2 stars (out of five). It is the equivalent of comedic jazz. A theme, and all of its variations and personal styles, put together on film.

OK, if you do want to watch this movie, then stop reading here, because I AM going to reveal the joke for you! But trust me, you will be sorry (or maybe not) if you truly want to watch this movie.

Ready? All righty, but this will be a fairly watered-down version...

OK, so the man walks into a talent agent's office. He says, "I have a great act for you!"

"OK," says the agent, "Let me hear about it."

The man steps back and with gestures and a big smile starts to talk. "It is a family act. I come on stage with my wife and she starts to sing a beautiful melody while I start taking off my clothes. When I am fully nude, I start to sing the next part of the song and my wife strips down.

"When I have finished my verse to the song, my two children come on stage and start singing. My wife and I move to the center of the stage and take a dump in front of the kids, then proceed to take off their clothes."

"My wife and I begin to sing a duet while my two children also take a crap in the same location. As the music builds, our little dog comes in and he takes a dump. Then the whole family is singing in four-part harmony and in a crescendo of music we all dive into the pile of excrement, roll around in it, and finish the song."

The man has been acting out the parts in the office and jumps up with his hands in the air, "Ta daa!"

The agent is sitting there chewing on his cigar and asks, "So, ah, what is the name of your act?"

The man smiles and says, "The Aristocrats!"

I'll let you watch the DVD and see what others have done with this idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home